You own a Macintosh computer (iMac or MacBook) and you can use it pretty well, but you are not a computer expert.
Your computer is running OS X El Capitan (version 10.11).
- If this isn't you, then this other page may be more suitable for you.
STEP 1: Download and unzip the app
1.1 Download the app:
- datenow.app.zip [10 MB unzipped]
1.2 Activate Finder
- - click on the desktop to make the word Finder appear in the top left corner of the screen
1.3 Open your Downloads folder
- - Press ⌥⌘D
1.4 Unzip the downloaded file (called: datenow.app.zip)
- - double-click it
(This will make a second file appear (called: datenow.app)
1.5 Trash the original downloaded file (called: datenow.app.zip)
STEP 2: Move the app into your "Applications" folder and run it
2.1 Activate Finder (…as in STEP 1).
2.2 Open a second Finder window, alongside the first one
- - Press ⌘N
2.3 Make the second Finder window show what's in the Applications folder
- - Press ⇧⌘A
2.4 Drag'n'drop the file (called: datenow.app) from the first window into the second one:
2.5 Run datenow.app
- - double-click it
(This will make the DateNow window appear. Its icon will also appear near the right-hand end of the Dock)
2.6 Drag the DateNow icon in the Dock further to the left, where you want to keep it.
- - to make it easier to run the app at will.
NOTE: When DateNow ran, it showed the message:
...JHS server is not installed on this computer
This takes us to the next step: installing the JHS server.
(You needn't bother what this is – it's just a 3rd-party component that DateNow needs.)
STEP 3: Installing the JHS server
3.1 Go to this wiki page and follow the instructions: System/Installation/All-in-One.
- Done it?
- - then go to STEP 4.
- Not clear how to do it?
- - then try doing the following:
3.1a Download this "disk image" (.dmg) file:
3.2 Look in your Downloads file and double-click the downloaded file, like you did in STEP 1.
(It will be called j805_mac64.dmg. A new Finder window will open, showing you one single folder, called j64-805 )
3.3 Drag'n'drop the folder called j64-805 into your Applications folder, just like you did in STEP 2.
- …but don't try to run it.
- - (It runs automatically, now you've installed it.)
STEP 4. Running DateNow
4.1 Launch DateNow
- - click its icon in the Dock (…the icon you created in STEP 2).
You will now see this window appear:
4.2 Press the big button: INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE.
- Alternatively, go to this wiki page: Getting started with DateNow
- - (which contains much the same stuff.)