This gives detailed installation instructions for Windows. If you want a simple installation, go to the Quick Start Guide to start installation.
To start with, you may install either the Base system (without the Qt IDE) or the All-in-One system (with the Qt IDE).
The default installation folder is under the User's home directory. Admin privilege is not required to install here, for example:
C:\Users\elmo\j804 J 32-bit C:\Users\elmo\j64-804 J 64-bit
For a shared installation, you may install in a protected folder path such as C:\Program Files\j64-804. This requires admin privilege, and will also require admin privilege for updates.
Base System using Jconsole
Download and unzip the appropriate file, then move the folder to the final destination:
To start Jconsole, use Explorer to browse to the J installation directory, then run jconsole.cmd. See readme.txt for instructions on creating a suitable shortcut.
- download the appropriate file:
- Go to Windows Explorer and navigate to your Downloads folder. Then:
- double-click the zip file you downloaded
- follow the prompts to install J into the folder j64-804
- drag the new j64-804 folder and drop on C:\Users\Fred
- navigate to C:\Users\Fred\j64-804\bin
- double click jconsole.exe to start J
- If a Security Warning dialog is shown, clear the 'Always ask' checkbox and press RUN
- (optional) install all addons, install Jqt ide, and create desktop launch icons. Run the following lines one at a time in the jconsole window:
load '~addons/ide/jhs/installer.ijs' installer 0 exit 0
- (optional) Give JHS a try.
After you install the base system, install any addons you want.
If later on you want to install the Qt IDE, then load J and run:
- Download and unzip the appropriate file. You will be prompted for the final destination:
- You will be prompted for a location to install under. Note that the folder you select is not the folder that J will be installed in. The installation will create a new folder in the location you specify, and install J in this new folder. The name of the J subfolder is j804 for 32 bit, or j64-804 for 64 bit systems.
The default installation location is under HOME.
This also creates a Program Group j804 or j64-804 with icons, each of which is a large letter J:
- the green icon (titled JQt or JQt64) loads Jqt
- the yellow icon interrupts a running J program
- the gray icon runs Jconsole
- Run JHS if you like.
Continue with the next section to install any addons you want.
(optional) Install Addons
To install or update any addons, do one of the following:
1. in Jqt, select Tools|Package Manager from the menu, select the addons to be installed (or Select All to get them all), and press Install.
2. in the J console, use the Package Manager console interface.
(optional) Change Default Folder Names
J needs directories to store temporary files, configuration files and so on. By default these are in a folder under the User's home directory, named like:
C:\Users\elmo\j804-user J 32-bit C:\Users\elmo\j64-804-user J 64-bit
To change the folders J uses, follow the instructions here.